Consulate General of Russia in Osaka
Consulate General
of Russia in Osaka

Address: OSAKA, Toyonaka-city, Nishimidorigaoka 1-2-2
Phone: (8-10-81-66) 848-34-52, 848-34-51
Fax: (8-10-81-66) 848-34-53
eng jp rus

Issuance of Visas

General information

List of necessary documents

Tourist visas

Business visas, student visas, visas for cultural, sport, scientific and other exchanges

Transit visas

Homestay (visitors) visas


APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC)

FIFA World Cup 2018 FAN ID

General Information

Important Notice!

Starting January 21, 2013, Russian consular missions in Japan will only accept Electronic Visa Application Forms, filled out in Russian or English, and printed directly from the following website of the Consular Department of the Russian Foreign Ministry:
(Please follow the instructions for the procedure, available at the above website, provided in Russian as well as other languages, including Japanese.)

  • To enter the Russian Federation a foreigner should obtain a Russian visa in one of the Russian consular offices in Japan: Tokyo, Osaka , Sapporo or Niigata.

  • Each visa is valid for one person only. Visa is valid for a fixed term (in accordance with an invitation or a tourist confirmation). It can allow a single, double or multiple entry to Russia.

  •  A visa application should be made directly to the Consulate-General in person or via travel agent.

Attention! The application form must bear the original signature of the applicant!

  • Business hours of the Consulate-General (except weekends and Russian national holidays): 
  • Monday and Tursday from 9:30 till 12:30 and from 14:00 till 16:00

    Tuesday and Friday from 9:30 till 12:30,  

    Wednesday -not reception day.

  •   Further inquires can be made by phone (06-68483451/2) or by fax (06-68483453). 

[back to top]

List of necessary documents

  • Passport or other travel document in original. The validity term of the Passport should be no less then 6 month from the date of expiration of the Russian visa and the Passport should contain at least two blank pages.

  • If you are accompanied by a child, who does not have his/her own passport, he/she should be included in one of the parents' passport. If a child is 4 years old or senior the parents' passport should have his/her photograph.

  • Visa application form. Starting from January, 2013 all Consular institutions of Russia in Japan are to switch to a newly adopted on-line visa application form.

  • All applicants starting from the date above are to fill in the correspondent form using the Consular department of the MOFA of Russia-provided web-link (all due helpful notices are given in english, russian and japanese), then print it out and bring to our consulates with all other due documents for further procedures.

  • One passport size photo (3,5x4,5 cm.), attached to the visa application form.

  • Citizens of the United States, Canada, Australia, Georgia and British nationals applying for Russian visas should submit to the Consular section a special application form (please use the same website of the Consular Department of the Russian Foriegn Ministry, choosing your nationality: ). All the questions should be answered.

  • All non-Russian citizens (except Japanese), who wish to re-enter Japan following travel to Russia must obtain Re-entry Permits from the Japanese immigration authorities.

  • Citizens of the countries which are members to the Shengen agreement and citizens of several other states should have a medical insurance, valid in Russia.

The list of the countries is the following: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, China, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Iran, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Liechtenstein

    Please submit to the visa section the following documents:  

- Filled out medical insurance card containing information on your insurance company, which insurance is valid in Russia;

- Copy of the insurance policy (a certificate from the insurance company with the information on the insurance period).

  • - Originals of all other submitted documents (e.g. in case of tourism - originals of the voucher and of the visa confirmation);

    - Air tickets in original (there and back);

    - Residential card confirming the validity of their stay in Japan for more then 6 month (If an applicant enters Japan with short term visitor status he/she can get a Russian visa only in his/her home country). The person may also confirm the validity of his stay in Japan by a stamp or seal of the Japanese immigration authorities.

    Attention! A visa application shall be declined if any of the above listed documents are missing!

[back to top]

Tourist visas

  • To obtain a Russian tourist visa an applicant should, besides documents listed in the previous paragraph, present a standard tourist confirmation (fax copy, click here to view the sample) from a hosting authorized Russian travel agency or a hotel, which is registered with the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and has a valid reference number.

  • A copy of a voucher from the travel agency in Russia or the original and copy from the travel agency in Japan. The voucher must contain the following information:
  • - applicant's name or alphabetical list of a group with dates of birth and passport numbers;

    - dates and points of arrival and departure in and from Russia and means of transportation;

    - itinerary in Russia;

    - index and reference number of the receiving organization;

    - agency's official stamp and signature of the person in charge.

  • If you purchase tourist services from several travel agencies in Russia (which may be the case of both single and double tourist visa) a set of the above listed documents should be presented from each agency.

[back to top]

Business visas, student visas, visas for cultural, sport, scientific and other exchanges

To obtain a business visa, the original of the official letter of invitation issued by the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs should be submitted to the Visa Section.

The visa support may be obtained also through the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs or its regional representatives.

Based on the new Russian-Japanese agreement on simplification of the visa application process, effective October 30, 2013, certain categories of Japanese citizens covered by the agreement should now apply for their visas using the simplified format laid out in both Japanese and Russian in the relevant sections of this website.

If an applicant is planning to stay in the Russian Federation for longer than 3 months (student and working visas only), a Certificate of Negative Test Results for HIV Infection should be submitted to the Visa Section along with their other documents (the certificate is valid for 3 months from the day of the test).

[back to top]

Transit visas

Russian transit visas are issued only in case of a transit from Japan though Russian territory to a third country.  

  • A transit visa allows to stay in the Russian Federation up to 3 days in case of traveling by plane or up to 10 days if traveling on land;
  • A transit visa can be single or double.

To obtain a transit visa the following documents should be submitted to the visa section:

  • an original and a copy of airline tickets;

  • a copy of the passport page with the visa of the country you are going to and/or from.


Transit visas for passengers who travel from Japan through Russia to CIS countries, which do not have a diplomatic or consular establishment in Japan, are issued only if the Consulate-General receives a fax confirmation directly from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the respective country, which confirms that an applicant will get his/her entry visa at the point of the border control.

[back to top]

Homestay (Visitor's) visas

To obtain a Homestay Visa, the original of the official letter of invitation from your friend or relative in Russia, issued by the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs (click here to view sample) should be submitted to the Visa Section.

[back to top]


Visa fees should be paid in cash in the day of the application (Japanese yen only, no credit cards or personal checks are accepted).

Visa fee for Japanese nationals

Visa type

Number of working days for processing

6-10 days

4-5 days

Up to 3 days









The visa processing fee is not refundable.

[back to top]

The Government of the Russian Federation has issued decree on participation of Russia in APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC)

The Government of the Russian Federation has issued a decree (N773 of 02.10.2009) concerning the participation of Russia in the APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) program, under certain conditions, which can be regarded as transitional membership. Under the decree, which came into force on April 12, 2010, ABTC holders shall enjoy special fast-track entry and exit lanes at international airports and seaports. Although the ABTC cardholder is still required to apply for an entry visa, unless otherwise exempt under international agreements of the Russian Federation, our Consulate General will prioritize the processing of such visa applications, including same day processing of visa applications.

ABTC cardholders applying for a visa should have an invitation from an organization in Russia, a completed application form, one photo and a passport.

Please note that upon arrival in Russia, ABTC cardholders should present their passport as well as their visa and the card in order to pass through the lanes designated For APEC Business Travel Cardholders or For ABTC Holders, which are similar in function to those lanes designated For Diplomatic Passport Holders.


[back to top]

FIFA World Cup 2018 FAN ID

Please find the information about FAN ID at as well as here: FAN ID.

Also please check the following information of Russian Customs Service for passengers.